Vennelystparken is the oldest park in Aarhus, constructed in the years 1824 to 1830 between the streets of Vennelyst Boulevard and Nørrebrogade. Throughout the nineteenth century until World War II, the park was a social focal point in Aarhus where it hosts reviews, circuses, plays, and concerts in places of change. The park is now part of the Aarhus University campus in Midtbyen. The park is nowhere to be seen but is frequently used for outdoor concerts, protests and jobs as a local park in the Øgadekvarteret neighborhood.
Vennelystparken has large grassy areas undulating with a lake that flows through it, and features beech and chestnut trees.
The area was originally a rough and muddy field used for grazing cattle, but in 1824 Julius Hoegh-Goldberg rented the Aarhus municipality for 25 years, with the goal of creating a new commercial entertainment district. In 1830, the new park was opened under the name Finnstparken after a vast landscape. The park was fenced, guarded and required entry fees, but still a popular leisure destination for Aarhus citizens.
Vennelystparken c. 1900, shepherds at an unknown performance in Vennelystparken
In 1849, permission was given to build a small theater in the park, and to start a century high cultural point in the history of the park. The theater hosted countless parties, social events, concerts, song shows, and became the usual venue for theater group tours, vaudeville and circus. Fireworks and hot air balloon shows were also popular, and in 1880 the first summer tournament was held, a tradition that lasted 60 years. In the fall of 1896, the "Sami Caravan" consisting of two Sami families, eight reindeer animals and their dogs, became a show and attraction. The theater was decorated in a suitable winter scene and participants were charged for the performances. Sammy dogs doubled during their stay, and became a fashionista in Aarhus at the time.
In 1897, a new wooden venue was built, designed by Thorvald Jørgensen in a romantic national style, with a distinct 35-meter watchtower. It was burned in 1908, but a year after the construction of a new theater, it was supplemented with an outdoor scene in 1910. The upper social classes began to multiply in the park at this time and were a popular and popular location during the 1920s and 1930s. In January 1945, in the most famous laughter of the German occupation, the Vennelst Theater was bombed during a terrorist attack on Schlburgstadt. It has never been rebuilt, and the park today is still open.
In 1957, Aarhus University expanded its campus to include Vennelst Gardens. Architect C. F. Møller designed a building for teaching in journalism and many other buildings that followed, including educational buildings for nurses, dentists, student housing, and the Art Museum. In 1973, journalism education went to the Danish School of Media and Journalism, and in 2002 the Art Museum came out and exhibited at the Aarhus Museum of Art since 2004. Today all buildings are owned and run by Aarhus University and are used for education, research or housing.