The landscape of the Memorial Gardens has remained relatively unchanged since its opening. The gardens were already in existence as the grounds of Cliffe House. With the demolition of the Cliffe House buildings and subsequent relocation of the War Memorial (to Dale Street) the original design and integrity was enhanced by the placing of the memorial on the footprint of Cliffe House foundations.
The circular road and pathway have been retained and the slope to the lawns below is as originally laid out. Part of the original grounds (0,8 of an acre) were lost when the M62 Motorway was constructed. This remodelling of the park required the diversion of a bridleway, which still passes through the park on the footpaths adjacent to the motorway boundary.
The remainder of the park (4,9 acres) was purchased in 1961 from Mr Vernon Smith Whitworth, who was the last occupier and had inherited the estate from the former owner Mr Emanuel Clegg.
Wildlife, flora and fauna
Milnrow Memorial Park attracts a wide variety of wildlife both birds insects and small mammals. This is enhanced by the woodland, which acts as a wildlife oasis with its mature trees providing natural homes for birds and mammals. Nesting and roosting sites are being further enhanced by the inclusion of bird and bat boxes.
Nesting birds recorded in recent years include carrion crows, magpies, wood pigeons, blackbirds, mistle thrush, song thrush, robins, wagtails, tree creepers, nuthatches, starlings, bluetits and members of the finch family.
Close proximity to open farmland to the rear of the park attracts numerous animals and birds. Mammals including badgers, foxes, rabbits, hares, weasels, stoats, hedgehogs, grey squirrels, mice and voles are regularly seen and bats can be seen feeding in the tree canopy during early evening.
Foundation Date: 1/1/1952
Multipurpose sports courts
- Skateboard park - Crown bowling green