Green Flag awarded
The name Whitefield may be derived from - White - a field of white flowers, hence the name Lily Hill Street (Wilson, 1979) and - Field - meaning a clearing in a forested area (Whitefield was originally on the edge of Rossendale Forest).
On 1 January 1890 a covenant was given to the Whitefield Urban Corporation for the purpose of a public playground by Alfred Grundy Esq, of Underley. It covered four acres of land, and he also gave £800 towards the cost of laying it out. Officially opened on 3 May 1890, the Park was created in a Victorian style, with a bandstand, pond, ornamental flower bed and children's gymnasium (the early forerunners of the play areas). The "walks" were the predominant feature.
Contributions were given to the Council for the purpose of a bowling green on 28 March 1925. Mark Fletcher & Sons Ltd donated the first plot of additional land for the bowling green.
On 6 September 1950 a further covenant was given to the Council by Mark Fletcher & Sons Ltd for the purpose of extending the park and building a bowling green. This second plot of additional land was given for another bowling green, to commemorate the Festival of Britain.
This informations from published sources and pending the approval of the official authorities