Manchester Road Park was one of four parks established following a public meeting in 1883, with contributions from Lord Derby, the Lord of the Manor, a public subscription, and, in this particular case, generous contributions of land and money from a local benefactor, Mr Thomas O. Openshaw. The Park was opened in August 1890 by the Earl of Derby, with the Bowling Green being opened in 1906.
Within three years after Manchester Road Park was opened some 20 acres of land had been acquired by charitable donations to create public parks in the Borough.
Steam trams were introduced along Manchester Road in 1883, and electric trams in 1903. Although buses took over the services to Whitefield and Manchester before the Second World War, it was still possible to enjoy a tram ride along here during the 1940's, either on the temporary Starkies service or on a football special.
Park Area: 28800.00 SQM